As some of you already know, I am kind of nuts. Yes, I admit it. I am not going to say I am alone in this condition, but I will say that I need to spend some time and effort straightening out my head. It is time for a change. So, to that end, I have come up with some goals. I have lined them out below and would love to know what you think.
- Spend less time on FaceBook. Starting with a FaceBook diet of only 15 minutes, once per day. I would say the same for Twitter, G+, and the others too, but I don’t spend much time on those anyway. Plus, unlike FaceBook, they don’t seem to be as soul sucking and bad mood inducing.
- Spend at least one hour per day on a pure “me” activity. This is not work. Not even my own work for my own business. This is something like working on my model trains, writing, futzing with my old cars, or reading. This could be goofing with my family too – as long as it isn’t in front of the TV or anything like that.
- I am going to attempt to say “no” to, or delegate, projects that I don’t have time for and/or that someone else should do. I spend too much time taking on everything trying to make people happy – and it leaves me feeling ragged. And it leaves many of those project not being completed with the quality they deserve.
- Quit browsing shopping sites, like Amazon and eBay, for stuff that is appealing but that I don’t need. If I need something I will go find it (or have someone else find it) and buy it, but no more virtual window shopping. This goes hand in hand with the next one …
- Avoid unnecessary expenditures like phone upgrades I don’t need or additional toys and projects I will never get to. It is time to finish a few things and make use of what I already have.
- As much as possible buy and eat local. Additionally, when eating I will aim for fresher, healthier, less fried, less processed foods. I will aim for local flavor, quality and color instead of fast, faceless, fixtures.
- And finally … resume my walking exercise. This was the best thing I had done for myself in a long time and I need to get back into it. Walking dropped my weight, lowered my blood pressure, helped strengthen my back, and gave me time to listen to podcasts and see the world around me. So while it is last on the list, it is a very valuable item on the list.
So there you have it – some goals I am setting for myself. Some will be harder than others, and I know I will slip from time to time. If you see me slip I would appreciate a gentle nudge of a reminder. No need to beat me with a stalk of celery or anything, just help me back on my path. And for that help, I will let you know how it all goes.
What do you think? Is something on the list ridiculous? Have I forgotten something critical? We are always a work in progress, so I can always make revisions.